Reading Response

Using words like “question”, “visualize”, “predict”, and “connect” to explain some of the ideas you had while reading.  Write at least 1 paragraph (6-7 sentences) describing the reading strategies you are using to help you understand the book/piece of writing you are currently reading.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Reading Response

1. jessee says:

I will predict what is going to happen before each couple pages. When I am looking for a book to sign out of the library I question and predict if i will like the book just by the cover. Also while reading I will connect what i am reading to personnal experiences and make connections. If I am reading a book about hockey I will make images in my head. Or if I am reading a book I know nothing about I might make pictures to try and get a better understanding. If I am reading a book that I dont have much you nderstanding about and there is pictures i will look on the picturwes to get a better understanding.

2. brodyr says:

Before i start a new chapter, I predict what will happen next. I ask questions to myself when i don’t get what im reading. Before i read a book, i look at the back to find out the authors target audience. I pick books that i have a connection to, so i understand the text more. I use the pictures to help me connect more if i don’t get what the author is trying to say. If i dont get what im reading, i skip ahead and keep on reading so i can understand.

3. Basketball rox my sox says:

When I am reading my book “Mocking Jay” often I visualize the book in my head.
    I see the book as a movie. Since I am reading the last book of the series and I have not read any of the other books, I had to ask myself questions about the character and the setting of the book. I had to infer a lot of things about the book and things that have happened already during the first two. When I am reading, I try to picture what it would be like if I was in that character’s shoes, and how I would act in that situation. I often don’t realize the strategies I am using but I guess I use enough to fully understand the book.

4. patrick says:

when I read a book and I don’t understand a word i will sound it out, skip the word then come back to the word or I look in the glossary. Then if I don’t understand another word I look it up in the glossary .

5. iKayla says:

When I’m reading, I automatically put myself in the character’s point of view, that’s usually what gets me interested in reading a book. A lot of the time, I’ll read too fast.. So I end up reading one word wrong, and then it throws the whole sentence off, so then I have to go back and re-read the whole sentence, or paragraph- that’s using the reading strategy “re-reading”.
    Sometimes when I read, I predict what is going to happen later on in the book, but I don’t read a book if it’s really easy to know what’s going to happen next.. To me, that ruins the book.

If I’m reading a text book, for example in history.. I’ll take notes of the key points.. Or I’ll try to figure out what the main idea of it is. Sometimes I’ll use visual organizers.

6. mariahb says:

I am reading the book “Crabbe” and before I started reading the book I asked questions, I read the title, look at the pictures, and read the back of the book …… While I read I picture it like a movie in my head and, I try and picture what the characters are like and what they would do during the conflicts or situations that occur in my book. I try and guess what’s going to happen next and what I would write next. Im not always right but sometimes I am :)

7. Corbin says:

When I started Reading the book “Fall of a Kingdom” I predicted that there would be a battle of some sort at one point of the book. During the book I found out I was right and a battle was going to happen. After I predicted that the battle would happen and both sides fighting would either kill everyone or something very unexpected would happen like another group of people coming in and attacking. I also visualized that I had been in the rooms were they planed there battle stragies. I could not connect to any of this.

8. smity says:

At the begining of each chapter I predict what will happen. I try to connect to the characters and I try to put myself in their shoes. (What would I do if I were them) I try to visualize the scene. When I get stuck on a word I reread the sentence and the words around it. These are the reading strategies that I use when I am reading.

9. cailunt says:

The books I’m reading are “The Castaways”and “The Sight”. I only just realized that “The Castaways”is a third in a series so it’s a bit confusing, but I’m slowly getting it. I guess the reading strategies that I use would be: skipping the word and continuing on, sounding out the word, or re-reading the sentence. I don’t normally use reading strategies to begin with but I guess that when I do need to use them, I would use those. Especially in books that involve terms that are pretty much uncommon to me, or a book that has sentences that need to be read a certain way to be understood properly. Some books that I read also use old terms or words, so then I would definitely use those reading strategies. The book “The Castaways” use a lot of sailing terms, so I usually use the “skip the word and continue on” strategy, and my book at home “The Sight” uses a lot of old words that can be a bit confusing, as well as sentences that definitely need to be re-read in a different way to make sense.

So the reading strategies I would use would be skipping the word and continuing on, sounding out the word, and re-reading the sentence.

10. Jake says:

When I read, I try to predict what will happen from the way it is written. I also try to visualize what is happening. If I get stuck on a sentence, I will read ahead and come back to it later to see if it makes sense. I try to put myself into the characters shoes and try to understand what they are feeling. If I get stuck on a word then will skip it and try to figure it out what it means later. I try to guess what is going to happen in the chapter by its title.

11. lindsayc says:

The reading strategies I use while reading a book are mostly questioning and visualizing. I like to visualize because seeing what’s happening in front of you helps you understand the book you are reading better. Sometimes when you visualize you predict what’s happening next because you are able to see it better. The book I am reading is sort of like a mystery/ghost story, they are trying to figure out who is pulling tricks on a young boy and taking the soul of a girl who was murdered in the same house years ago. This book makes you question yourself a lot because you are trying to figure out what the cause of these things that are happening to this little boy. You also predict a lot about what the next trick will be and if it will lead to death, and keep visualizing what is going to happen and the things that are linked to the previous event. The reading strategies help me understand the book way better and to feel like I am in the book that I am reading. Just the way the book comes alive in your head when your reading is the best part of the book, without visualizing and questioning the book would not be for entertainment but because you have to.

12. tiaq says:

The reading strategies I use while reading is few, but the ones I do use are visualizing and questioning. I visualize when I read because it makes the story more real to me. When I see the characters of my book (City of Ashes) standing before the grand gothic building that is their home, it’s like I’m there with them, hearing the New York traffic behind and watching the sky change colour as night falls. Everything seems more real, as if the world they live in is actually real, of course it isn’t, but books’ are a lot better if you can imagine them happing in real life. I use questioning when reading also because sometimes what the character is doing is just simply idiotic. Making me question what the heck they‘re thinking, and wether or not the book is worth reading anymore.

13. Mr. McFadden says:

Great reflections 8C. Looking forward to reading the rest. I find that the reading strategies I use to comprehend the ideas in a book that I am reading change depending on the book that I am reading. I am currently reading a Keith Richard’s memoir, Life. I’m a longtime Stones fan (and Harmony PS’ resident Guitar Hero), so I find I’m doing a lot of connecting to what I already knew about the band while reading this book. Admittedly, Keith is a better guitar player than he is a writer, so the language and themes in the book aren’t so difficult that I’m having to infer or question to understand them. Alternatively, I am also reading Arthur Herman’s How the Scots Invented the Modern World The True Story of How Western Europe’s Poorest Nation Created the World & Everything in It. I know. The title is so long you can stop half way through it to predict what the book might really be about. Now, I stayed awake for most of my History of English Literature classes, so I have a little bit of schema to work from (so what if I used to think that Calvin and Hobbes were just mischievous cartoon characters?), but as informative as I am finding this book, I am having to ask a lot of questions to clarify meaning, and since the author seems to assume that the reader already has a lot of background knowledge of Europe in the 1700s, I am having to infer a lot of meaning to get through all of his historical references.

14. johnf says:

Before I read my book I predict what’s going to happen. When im reading a book I use the pictures to help me connect to the book. When I don’t know what a word means I skip it and keep on reading it so I can understand it.When im reading my book I try to idenify the target audince.Befor I read a book I ask question to try to figure out what is going to happen.

15. Dana says:

Well reading a text/book in class I never notice when I use a reading strategy. But, if I had to say well reading a book in class I like to visualize what is going on in my head. Picturing what happens or what is going on in the book gives you a mental image off what is going on, what characters look like and what the scene looks like. Or visualising what is going to happen in the next couple of pages is useful when reading a fiction text. Like the book I’m reading now in class “Beach Blondes” I could tell by the cover on the book if it was an interesting book. Also I could visualise where the book was taking place and what the characters in the book look like. It creates a vivid picture in your mind that you can relate to the text. I question what’s going on when I read, question why a character or a person might have done something and question what will happen next. Predicting what’s going to happen, or why some did something helps me relate to what may happen next.. Relating to the text through personal, world or text helps me understand what a person means or the meaning of the book/ text. I use all these strategies during reading even unconsciously.

16. cassidyh says:

The reading strategies when I read are

Visualizing = I can visualize what the charters look like before they describe what they actually look like but. I can’t always visualize because. I can only visualize the books im really into other words the next day I can’t really rember what happen so I have to go back and re-read what I read yesterday or go back re-read the sentence that didn’t make sense to me.

For example it kept talking about this ting that you don’t see very often and it didn’t make sense to me so had to go back and re-read the page again and know I know that in my book they were talking about this snake that they have only seen maybe 3 in there whole life because of where they live. But for it to make sense I had to go back and re-read then I could visualize the snake swimming down the river.

But sometimes you have to read the page more then 1 time to understand what’s going on in your book. Also if you started your book over you would read stuff you missed the first time.

17. Josiee . :) <$ says:

When I first started reading “Greener Grass” I instantly started visualizing what was going on. The author is really good at putting descrbing words about the scene to help me better understand whats going on. Before each chapter, I predicted what was going to happen , the first couple of times i predicted, i wasnt right but after i started reading more and more of the book, my predictions started to get more and more correct

• Cailun T :D says:

It is a good book isn't it? Isn't it kinda sad though how at the end the guy she likes is calling her name as the boat's leaving Ireland when she's actually right behind him? Oh well.